Monday 27 February 2012

26 Feb - Winchester 10K

An hour or so after my 17 miler, I set off for Lou's in Southampton, so we could do the Winchester 10K in the morning.


Usually after a long run, I have a rest day, but not this week!  There were 2 reasons for this run, one was that it had been my first sub 1hr 10k  when we did it a couple of years ago and I remembered it being an attractive course so I thought it would be good to give it another go.  The other was so that I could support Lou around it because she's had lots of problems recently with her running and had to cut back on her distances, not having run a full 10K for a year or so, due to grief she's been getting from her legs and I thought Lou would want to take it fairly carefully.  So my  thoughts that evening after a couple of glasses of wine and a chat were of a nice 10 - 10:15 min mile run.  Of course I completely forgot to take into account firstly - my fading and idealised memory of the course and secondly - Lou's tenacity and strength - Oops!   Big Mistake!  Most of the run I stayed between 10-100ft behind Lou (depending on the length and steepness of the hills which I had erased from my memory ;o)  )  with the idea of trying to keep the pressure off, so she didn't feel the need to work too hard and end up hurting her legs.  With 300 metres to go though, I leveled up with Lou as we were heading down the hill to the finish and said to her that I'd got there for her sprint finish (which she never fails to beat me with) and sure enough with 100m to go, even though dying inside from the stress of the whole run, she set off like a rocket to the Finish.  I could never ever beat her sprint even if I'd been fresh as a daisy, I'm a real wimp when it comes to sprinting.  So we put in much better times than expected (both beating our previous course records) especially Lou with a fantastic time and awesome sprint.  
Not that I'm suggesting Lou is a big black Jamaican guy, but she is bloody fast!


No comments:

Post a Comment