Sunday 15 April 2012

Final week - only 3 runs left before the Marathon!!!










Long runs are all over with for the last week of training and only 3 more short runs before the actual Marathon.  Hopefully I've done enough to get around the course in a half decent time (I dream of anything shorter than 4:15, but who knows with the weather and how I feel on the day) 


The other top thing for this week is that this is where the carb-loading starts!  Lots of pasta, potato, rice  and all things sweet :D.

General advice is to split the whole marathon down into 4 - 6 parts in your head.  I think the first 10K (approx 6 miles) will be an important point for me.  It usually takes me this long to start feeling more comfortable, but it's also where my feet and tummy can start playing up.  13.1 miles is obviously really important as then the distance will always be less than I've already run.  Maybe 20 miles after that, because I'll be into single figures,  around 22-23 miles I think I'll have an idea of what pace i'll be able to keep up for the rest of the race and then finally the last mile!



Apparently there were 50, 200 slots given out for the London Marathon and they usually have 34-36000 finishers.  Hopefully I'll be one of this years.  I don't think that means that 15,000 don't finish the marathon though as some people may have had problems in training and may have deferred their entry till the following year.  It's one of the biggest marathon's in the world, second to NewYork, and competing with Chicago and Berlin for 2nd place


No comments:

Post a Comment