Friday 27 April 2012

22 Apr - Pre-Race

Didn't get much sleep the night before - nerves I think.  I'd got everything precisely laid out the night before and had an instant porridge pot and strong cup of coffee.  When it came to taking my codeine tablets, I wasn't able to find them (must have left them in Nottingham), so had to make do with some co-codamol and Neurofen Extra from the chemist and just as an extra precaution a couple of immodium to make sure my tummy was settled (or so I thought)  We then had our pre-marathon photo by Jeanette, my Auntie before the two of us set off.
We'd planned on it taking an hour to get there and as soon as we set foot on the underground, there were runners all around us.  We had a smooth trip to Greenwich Park, where we handed over our kit bags to the Lorries to meet us back at the end.  I had a banana and a sports drink to keep me topped up and we made our way straight to the toilet queues and had another photo-shoot whilst waiting.  
We were really lucky with the weather, gorgeous blue skies, if a little cool to start with, (so we kept our thin long sleeve layer on until the start)  but that didn't matter as we knew we'd be warming up once we got going. And so we headed to the start.  I'd been allocated to pen 5, but Louise who hadn't put down any time on her application was allocated to pen 9 at the back. But she was always going to be putting in a better time than me with those long legs and age on her side (my excuse and I'm sticking to it) so we managed to get us both into the same pen.  All very exciting with 1,000s of people all waiting to go, we even had a pantomime horse in our pen, although I had no idea how they thought they were going to do it in 4 hours.  Then we heard the start and started to walk forward,  I was surprised how little time it took us to cross the start line, only around 7 minutes and then we were off!



No comments:

Post a Comment