Tuesday 20 March 2012

19 Mar - Finally a steady 19 miles Part 2



To keep my energy up over the longer distances, I've been using energy gels, not as many as I would for the full distance, but just enough to help me out when I start flagging.  Over the full distance I'd probably use 5 gels, but am trying to get by with as little as possible in training to see if I can get my body to work that bit harder on it's own and hopefully I'll feel the benefit when I use them for the full 26.2miles.   I only used 2 for this run, the first one at 8 miles and I must admit it was a nice pick-me-up.  I then took the 2nd at 13 miles.  I'm currently using SIS gels as they're isotonic so you don't have to take water at the same time.  I've used lucozade gels before, but they're very thick and sticky, and my friend Audrey recommends Gu gels


The other problem I've had on the long run is the continuing toe and metatarsal pain from about 9-10 miles, a bit like running on a marble.  I'm pretty sure the problem is Morton's Neuroma   I've had a Scholl cushioned lining in my shoe since Milton Keynes which has improved it slightly, but it's still very painful and is only really eased by taking my shoe off, which isn't really practical, and although it eases after the run, it can still be uncomfortable 3-4 hours later  Flexing my toes as I run and making a pronounced heel, toe strike takes the edge off it  but doesn't make for an attractive running style. In true amateur cost-cutting style, I've been googling the treatments to see if there is anything else I can do.  Suggestions range from taped cotton wool under the ball of the foot to metatarsal gel pads, ibuprufen gel, orthotics, steroid injections,surgery and cryosurgery.  With the marathon being less than 5 weeks away, orthotics are likely to be impractical as they usually take some time to wear in and any kind of surgery will have obviously have to wait till after, but I reckon I'll give the metatarsal pad a go and if that doesn't work then it looks like I'd better book in with a podiatrist but the initial consultation  at the local sports therapy clinic is £50 and obviously treatment will be extra. Wish I'd got it checked out sooner, but I thought it was going to improve as it has done previously.  I've also been avoiding ibuprufen in favour of paracetamol recently but so will be giving the old anti-inflammatories a go too.



No comments:

Post a Comment